7 years of StackOverflow

Seems like yesterday...

I was once banned from asking questions, for 1 year. At the beginning, I asked a bunch of stupid questions like "How to create an array of strings in Java?" or "What is the on this array construction?": Senior Moderators couldn't cope with it.

Can't fully blame them (although they were mean): the questions were about basic and specifiic programming language concepts and not real software problems.


At that time, I was an underdog, rejected on many job interviews (most of them without any feedback, as usual), plus these Moderators, banning my participation on asking questions. Living abroad. I felt bad.

I studied as much as I could, in order to become better, asking and writing clear problem statements (after the ban was lifted), providing the best answers I could.

Being Moderator and Contributor of StackOverflow, even with rude and mean people out there, was tough, but it really helped me to build my career. Writing better documentation, interacting with other contributors, without being mean, reasonating about issues, solutions, putting clear statements for a problem or answer.

All can I say is "thank you", even to the bad people in the SO community: thankfully, there are more good than bad people.

Mastodon